Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Polygamist Article

Right outside of Salt Lake City a man named Joe Darger reveals his lifestyle that has been secretive for over 20 years. The Darger's publicized the book " Love Times Three" and expressed their beliefs publicly. They have taken a risky move and now they are in the danger of potential prosecution. Polygamy is illegal in the United States but the Darger's feel that the only way to make a change is stand up for what they believe in, even if it makes the rest of the society uncomfortable. Although polygamy may seem very weird to outsiders, the Darger's are considered unusual inside of polygamy. Th family started out with one two best friends Alina and Vicki and there boyfriend Joe. After getting married at the same time ten years later, Vicki's identical twin got proposed to and joined the Darger family. In polygamist families, it is strange to have twin sisters marry into the same family. The wives explain in "Love Times Three" that they all share different love experiences with Joe. Also they expressed that three women and one man can sometimes lead to many misunderstandings but never jealousy. The Darger family knows that they are putting their lives in danger with the law and understand that people think they are different. The teenagers are convinced that " it is ignorance that keeps people from accepting their families way of life".  Most of the Darger children are unsure if they will choose a polygamous or monogamous marriage when they are ready, but they are all open to the option of both. 
The Entire Darger Family

Joe, Vicki,Val,&Alina Darger



Overall the article Modern Polygamist Family: Why They're Risking Jail, made me understand much more about Polygamist and how their families operate. Just like anytime when a person is trying to make a change they publicize what they believe in; this is why I understand that they are risking jail. For example, when women or black Americans wanted to be treated equal and have the right to vote they stood up for what they believed in even though they were risking their lives. It is easy to understand why they are publicizing it but it is hard for me to understand why they want to be in that kind of relationship. I am just so used to monogamous marriages that the idea of a polygamous marriage boggles my mind. When I was reading the article I couldn't stop thinking "how do they sleep at night and is there ever one on one time with the wive and husband"? Well I got my answer in this sentence : "whether it's being left at home with the kids while Joe takes one of the wives for a date night or stumbling upon a pair of Joe's underwear in another sister wife's bed" I do not know about you but this baffled me. I could not even imagine that. I do not understand how the wives don't have tension or jealously  between each other and constant competition.  Later in the article the daughter Laura  explains that it is not in every ones "future dreams or plans" but "God changes people's hearts. You know sometimes there are things you don't think you can do but when God asks you, you do it." In many religions there are very strong beliefs and they must follow what there leader or God calls them to do. The Dargers must have all felt a very strong bond and call from God to live this lifestyle. 

2 comments:

  1. I thought your article was very interesting. I have to agree with you about the whole jealousy thing though. Maybe it's because I've been raised in a society that honors monogamous marriages as opposed to polygamous ones, but I would become a raging, jealous, crazy person if I was in a polygamous marriage. I would hate to share my husband with anyone. Still, I definitely appreciate the way you are trying to present both sides of the story and be fair, even though you were brought up, like I was,to want a monogamous marriage, if any marriage at all. While I personally don't agree with polygamy or want to live my life that way, if that is what they want then go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meg! Yes, this would definitely never be the way I would live my life! I was just trying to figure out both sides and not be so judgmental. I wonder if a guy would think differently. If the man of the house gets sick and tired of one wife, he can just take the other one out to dinner! After awhile that must get costly...so many things to think about.

    ReplyDelete