Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Sister Wives

A very popular hit show on TLC called "Sister Wives" documents the lifestyle of a polygamist family.  Kody Brown, his four wives, and seventeen children live in Las Vegas, Nevada. Three out of the four wives were raised in the lifestyle of polygamy, however just like in the other stories they were not predestined for this kind of lifestyle. Robyn was married in a monogamous relationship and the sister wives wanted to bring her into the family after Robyn got a divorce. Each wife has their own home, and lives with their own kids and Kody rotates between each home on a specific schedule. Each wife has felt jealousy towards each other especially towards Robyn. In the beginning of each episode each parent says something they like about the sister wives:

Meri- "I believe in living this lifestyle it makes each of us better"
Janelle- "I think we have something really awesome I wouldn't want anything else "
Christine- "I like sister wives -- I wanted a family, I didn't just want a man"
Robyn- "It seems like destiny like we should have all been together since day one"
Kody- "Love should be multiplied not divided"

Could you imagine "having" four moms or "having" your fifteen brother and sisters from the age of one to eighteen? What about being the first wife and watching your husband marry other women? Or even the thought of your father not basically being a nomad traveling from house to house... every four days you have your dad home. IT ALL BLOWS ME AWAY. I understand it is what makes them happy and that is the kind of life they want to be in but I do not think I could handle that! It is weird to think that polygamy is so taboo to me but natural to others. I wonder if I do something that is normal to me but taboo to others. I think Robyn shows that she truly wants to be in that kind of lifestyle, being that she grew up in it I would expect her to know if she liked it or not. However, she tried out being in a monogamous relationship and that seemed to fall apart and she seems happy where she is now being a sister wive. Robyn proves that is not a lifestyle they feel pressured to be apart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment